Halitosis, colloquially called bad breath is a symptom in which a noticeably unpleasant odour is present on the exhaled breath.
Causes of Bad breath
1. The foods you eat such as garlic, onion, dairy products such as cheese and milk can deposit on your tongue and cause a bad breath.
2. Food stuck around your teeth that has not been cleaned can rot and produce a bad smell.
3. A dry mouth due to medication can produce a bad smell as it allows bacteria to overgrow.
5. Bad breath may be the sign of a medical disorder, when the muscle stopping the food from the stomach go back up allow the gas go back from the stomach . If we determine that your mouth is healthy, you may be referred back to your family doctor to determine the cause of bad breath.
6. Nasal mucous that has not been cleaned regularly becomes stagnant and remains in the nasal passages become a food source for the bacteria thereby resulting in bad breath
7. Bleeding gums may be a sign of periodontal disease meaning that the gums have become infected with bacteria that cause really bad breath.
8. You did NOT clean your tongue.
What can you do about bad breath?
Regular dental visits
Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to remove food debris and plaque.
Clean your tongue, after eating, should be twice a day using a Tongue Scraper. We do give this Tongue Scraper out FREE of charge to all patients who came in for a clean.
Use Dental Floss or interdental brushes to clean between teeth daily.
Reduce or quit Smoking
DO NOT use a Mouthwash. It just masks the problem and does not treat the cause.
If your gum bleed or you have bad breath, you should call us today on 6563 1313, and we will improve your dental health!
Dr Nathan Le offer this Gum Disease – Gum Treatment at Best Western Dental Centre in Sydney.